CENG Student Spotlight: Angelika Canete

A student smiling at the camera

Major: Computer Science

Hometown: Long Beach, California

Year at Cal Poly: Third Year

What made you choose computer science?  

I chose computer science after working on my robotics team in high school. I liked the problem-solving aspect of coding, and it felt very rewarding. 

What is your favorite place in San Luis Obispo County and why?

My favorite place in SLO county is the Bob Jones Trail in Avila. It’s perfect for riding bikes or getting in a good run. 

What is your earliest engineering project? 

My earliest engineering project was through my high school robotics team when we coded an autonomous robot to drive around an obstacle course. I focused on the driving capabilities of the robot to avoid cones on the course using a Light Detection and Ranging (LiDAR) camera. 

Where do you like to hang out on campus? 

I like to hang around the computer science lab and the Multicultural Center. 

What are your hobbies? 

My hobbies consist of reading, playing guitar and recording covers of pop and soul songs. 

What has been your favorite class and why? 

My favorite class so far was Data Structures. The concepts from that class were applicable to the interviews and work I did in my SURP research. Additionally, I thought it was fun learning different ways to organize data and learning which structures fit best in different programs. 

What is your dream job after graduation? 

My dream job after graduation would be at a company that focuses on building social robots, such as Hello Robot or Navel Robotics. After attending a conference on human-robot interaction, I learned how robots are being used as a tool in industries such as physical therapy and educational settings. I feel that being a part of this sector of robotics would be an interesting line of work. 

What do you think engineering’s biggest impact on the world will be in the future? 

I believe that engineering’s biggest impact on the world will be the future of AI. Especially in robotics, AI is a pivotal tool for creating systems that can seamlessly interact with humans. 

Do you have a scholarship? 

Yes, I received a scholarship through Cal Poly’s BEACoN program. 

Are you part of any extracurriculars on or off campus? 

Yes! I am a part of Pilipino Cultural Exchange (PCE) where I take part in Tinikling – a traditional style of dancing using bamboo poles. 

Why did you choose to attend Cal Poly, and what was the path that brought you here? 

I chose to attend Cal Poly after hearing great things about their engineering program. After participating in my high school’s robotics club, I was most interested in computer science. 

How do you support the college’s commitment to justice, equity, diversity and inclusion? 

I support the college’s commitment to justice, equity, diversity and inclusion through my participation in the BEACoN Research Program. The program allows me to apply what I learn in the classroom to a research project that aligns with my interests. I’ve had the opportunity to collaborate with members in the CENG community to bring the project to fruition and to learn more about human-robot interaction. 

Share