CENG Staff Spotlight: Pedro Zepeda Beas

A man smiling

Job Title: Human Resource Support Coordinator

Hometown: Santa Maria, CA

What brought you to Cal Poly College of Engineering?  

When I was in elementary school, my brother was admitted into the Mechanical Engineering Department within the College of Engineering. I fell in love with Cal Poly when visiting the campus with him. Years later, I was admitted as a business administration major with the Orfalea College of Business. After working off campus for a few years, I saw the job opening on Cal Poly’s job board and felt like it was meant to be. Luckily, I was offered the job and accepted.  

What is your favorite part of your job?  

My favorite part is being part of the hiring committees that bring on all the staff members who support the engineering departments. 

How do you support the college’s commitment to justice, equity, diversity and inclusion? 

A big part of my job is to be the College’s Employment Equity Facilitator (EEF) for all staff requisitions. The role of the EEF is to ensure the staff or faculty screening committee they serve on adheres to equal employment opportunity practices during all phases of the search and selection process. 

How do you integrate the College of Engineering’s core value of collaboration into your day-to-day professional life?  

I believe having the skill of collaboration is very important. I always make sure to communicate as best as possible with every team that I am on and to make sure that regular updates are given at appropriate times. 

How do you like to spend your free time?  

I love going to the park or beach with my wife and son, but when they are busy, you can typically catch me playing FromSoftware/Nintendo games or at the Cal Poly Recreation Center. 

If you were stranded on a deserted island, what one band or musician would keep you entertained?  

Probably Drake. I’ve been listening to his music since his 2010 “Thank Me Later” album. 

What is the most helpful advice you’ve received?  

My mom would always tell me that if you really want something, you can get it done. My father is a perfect example of this. As a Spanish-only speaking permanent resident of the U.S., he took the United States citizenship exam back when it was only given in English and passed. 

Share