Now more than ever, we need to ensure our students can fulfill their basic needs, such as food and housing. We must set them up to succeed.
Here are two ways to inform students about basic needs resources in your class and interactions with students:
- Canvas Commons class page
- Faculty and staff resources page (including syllabus statement, videos, and graphics)
- CANVAS CLASS PAGE:
To ensure students have good food to fuel them for their learning, please consider adding the a ‘Food Resources’ page to your Canvas class page. This commons ‘Free Food Resources’ page informs students about 4 free food resources available to staff and students as well as fun videos to explain these resources.
Step 1. Log into Canvas portal
Step 2: Select ‘Commons’ on the left hand side
Step 3: Search the key words “Food Resources” and click on the image below
Step 4: Select ‘Import’ and put the ‘Food Resources’ page into your class shell(s)
Step 5: Go to your course pages, locate ‘Food Resources’ and place it on your class page where students can see it (eg: syllabus, home page, course policies, etc).
Step 6: Check to ensure the ‘Food Resources’ page is accessible to your students.
2. FOR YOUR SYLLABUS
The Cal Poly CalFresh Outreach team and the Basic Needs Task Force have created an ‘E-Packet’ for staff and faculty to utilize on their syllabus or other class materials. This packet provides basic needs information and language to help you inform students about available resources. You can find the link to this information by visiting https://www.calfreshcalpoly.org/faculty-and-staff
You will find:
- A basic needs e-flyer that can be easily added to Canvas
- The web address for the Cal Poly Basic Needs website
- A statement option for your syllabus
- Short, animated videos made by the CalFresh Outreach staff that describe all of the resources available to staff and students.