Mechanical Engineering Department Chair Jim Widmann and Professor Brian Self will present “Inquiry-Based Learning: Hands-On Activities in Mechanics” during an upcoming live webcast presented by the Department of Research.
April 15th, 2020
Presentation: 10:00 A.M. – 11:30 A.M.
(Lobby opens 10 minutes prior to live session)
Presented by the Department of Research
- Examples of inquiry-based learning (IBL) in several STEM disciplines including math, physics, chemistry and engineering
- Exemplars of IBL in the CSU
- Representative activities in math, mechanics, energy and social justice
- Engaging STEM faculty and teachers in IBL
Stan Yoshinobu and Topaz Wiscons, Cal Poly San Luis Obispo and Sacramento State, Math and IBL: Some Examples from CSU Campuses
Erik Helgren, Cal State East Bay, The Solar Suitcase Class – A Sustainability and Social Justice Motivated Inquiry Based Learning Class
Marina Shapiro, CSU Bakersfield, California Challenges in STEM Energy Education.
Brian Self and Jim Widmann, Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, Inquiry-Based Learning: Hands-On Activities in Mechanics
Michele Korb and Julia Olkin, Cal State East Bay, Inquiry-Based Learning: Engaging STEM Faculty in the Teacher Preparation Pathway
Edward Price, CSU San Marcos, A Guided Inquiry, Physical Science Curriculum for Future Elementary Teachers
Register via this link by April 8. When registering, you will need to provide:
1. Full name
2. Title and Department
4. Email address
5. Whether you will be viewing alone at your computer or in a group
6. Any additional topics and questions your campus would like addressed
REGISTRATION CONFIRMATION / WEBCAST LINK
You will receive an email from Monica Alarcon by April 9 confirming your registration and the webcast link.
Simply login and stream the audio via your computer speakers. Communicate with the host & presenters by typing into the on-screen Chat Pods.
TEST YOUR COMPUTER
1. Please be sure your computer is webcast ready by clicking this test link.
2. Download the Adobe Connect add-in for your PC or Mac by clicking this link.
3. Update your Flash Player – then restart your browser, and join the webcast link again.
Contact Jennifer Wicks, Executive Producer, Learning & Development at (562) 951-4525 or email@example.com. Feel free to contact Jennifer to pre-test, making sure your computer is webcast ready, 2 days prior to the live webcast.