With so many wonderful events happening across the college and the university, and with the launch of the campaign, our college and University Development division are implementing new policies and procedures around events and fundraising.
To better coordinate, record, and process Cal Poly’s outbound direct mail solicitations and the resulting gifts, Development and Alumni Engagement is requiring all mailed solicitations be reviewed and approved by the Director of Annual Giving.
Solicitations that fall within these criteria include mail pieces sent by any campus entity that involves money either as a sponsorship, donation, or ticket purchase, including solicitation letters, invitations, printed materials that provide giving web addresses, and newsletters or magazines with remit devices.
The following are the steps that should be taken for each solicitation:
1) All mailing data should originate from Advance and be initiated by an output request (OR). Requestors are to include the target mailing date in the OR criteria. OR requests should be refreshed if the original OR data is more than two weeks out-of-date. For assistance with ORs, contact Charlotte Tallman in CENG Marketing and Communications at email@example.com.
2) Upon receipt of the OR, Annual Giving will review the targeted mailing date and provide an appeal code(s) for inclusion in the data file.
3) All mailed pieces should be submitted into Workzone (if you have access or submit to firstname.lastname@example.org) for content and brand review. Remit devices will be reviewed for appeal codes, fund names, allocation fund numbers and correct return addresses.
4) If the event will involve asking for money, it needs to have the Fundraising Event Form filled out and approved 30 days prior to materials being sent out and the event, (a CSU requirement). Please complete this form and send it to University Development, attention Lisa Rockwell-Harpster. You can find the form and policy here: https://advancement.calpoly.edu/content/forms/index
As you prepare items to be submitted for Workzone, please consider the following guidelines.
Brand Review Guidelines
The following must be appropriately branded and receive approval from University Marketing (Workzone) prior to being produced and distributed.
- Mail pieces sent by any campus entity that involves money either as a sponsorship, donation, or ticket purchase, including solicitation letters, invitations, printed materials that provide giving web addresses, and newsletters or magazines with remit devices.
- Non-scholarly print publications distributed to external audiences
- Print or digital communications to external audiences
- Print or digital internal communications with a shelf life of three months or longer
- Print or digital publications such as annual reports and strategic plans
- Print or digital marketing pieces that are affiliated with an initiative that impacts the entire university, including but not limited to WOW, Open House and commencement
- Campus banners and signage (temporary and permanent)
- Advertisements intended for external media including print publications, websites, apps and social media
(As part of the brand review process, all the above with the exception of banners, signage and advertisements will also be reviewed by the office of University Communications for style and messaging. Those submitting materials for review are responsible for their own copyediting, AP style compliance and proofreading.)
Please allow approximately five to seven days for review and feedback or approval. Items that require changes must be resubmitted for final university approval.
For more information, visit HERE.