CENG Student Spotlight: Ashley Sirois

A woman posing for a professional photo
General engineering student Ashley Sirois / Photo by Taylor Villanueva

Major: General Engineering

Hometown: San Luis Obispo, California

What made you choose engineering? 

After participating in STEM-related camps — such as electrical engineering camp and EPIC at Cal Poly — during elementary and middle school, it became clear to me that I enjoyed opportunities to collaborate with a team to find the best innovative solutions. In high school, I also pursued an engineering pathway, which allowed me to complete engineering drawing courses and learn SolidWorks through the local community college. These classes helped me with my decision to choose engineering. 

What is your favorite place in San Luis Obispo County and why? 

One of my favorite places is Morro Bay. I enjoy taking walks along the beach from Morro Bay toward Cayucos. I have been visiting this location since I was a child with my grandparents and great-grandparents, so it has a special meaning to me. 

What was your earliest engineering project?  

For my fifth birthday, I received a Snap Circuits set. I loved the set, and it gave me an opportunity to work on projects on my own, which ultimately set me on a path to explore other engineering activities. At my elementary school, I also participated in an after-school engineering class led by a volunteer Cal Poly professor. This was my first engineering team activity experience. 

What are your hobbies? 

Some of my favorite hobbies include building Legos, doing puzzles, going to the movies and anything related to the Golden State Warriors basketball team.  

What has been your favorite class and why?   

Last year I enjoyed the chemistry series with a great professor. Their enthusiasm for the subject made the classes very engaging.   

What’s your dream job after graduation?   

My dream job would be to work as an engineer at Lego.  

Are you part of any extracurriculars on or off campus?  

I am a peer adviser in Engineering Student Services and work with a great team. Last year, our peer adviser team had fun entering trivia night events on and off campus! 

Why did you choose to attend Cal Poly, and what was the path that brought you here?  

While in elementary school, I had the opportunity to attend Cal Poly’s Open House each year and participate in engineering activities. The excitement and positivity of the Cal Poly engineering students made a significant impact on me and my decision to attend Cal Poly. 

By Taylor Villanueva

Photo of the Week

Search

Post Categories

Trending Posts

Trending Tags

Contributor Form

Post Archives

Share