CENG Student Spotlight: Emily Gavrilenko

Emily Gavrilenko

Major: Computer Science (Graduate Level) 

Hometown: Antioch, CA 

What made you choose engineering? 

I’ve always liked math and science classes growing up, and engineering allows me to put everything I’ve learned into practical use to solve the world’s problems. It’s a perfect combination of problem solving and creative thinking, and there are always new things to learn and new challenges to tackle, so the work never gets old. Now that I am an engineer, it’s really rewarding to use everything I’ve learned to create something new! 

What is your favorite place in San Luis Obispo County and why? 

My favorite place has to be Pismo Beach. I can walk along the sand for hours with a cup of coffee in my hand, and the sunsets are absolutely beautiful. And you can’t forget surfing. It was definitely on my bucket list to learn how to surf after coming to Cal Poly. The beaches here definitely don’t disappoint. 

What was your earliest engineering project? 

My earliest engineering project had to be all the Lego structures I built as a kid. My brother and I developed an entire Lego kingdom complete with cities, trading outposts and our own form of currency. Every birthday and Christmas, I would beg for more sets so I could have more building blocks for my mega empire. I guess I’ve always loved the creativity and excitement of designing and putting together something new. 

Where do you like to hang out on campus? 

My favorite place on campus is the Hatchery. It’s an incubator space for Cal Poly startups, and I always love hearing the exciting ideas that people are coming up with and the companies they are bringing to life. 

What are your hobbies? 

I love spending time outdoors, whether it’s hiking, surfing, camping, skiing – you name it. I also love playing board games with my family and friends and finding new places to explore around SLO. Reading is also one of my favorite ways to pass the time. There’s nothing like snuggling up with a good book on a cold winter day. 

What has been your favorite class and why? 

There are so many that I’ve loved that I can’t pick just one! Some of my favorites have been welding, databases, bowling and disruptive innovation. All those classes really embody the Learn by Doing approach, and I was able to gain skills that I probably wouldn’t have gotten anywhere else. 

What’s your dream job after graduation? 

I already have it! This past January, I started my own company with my two co-founders, Johnny and Josh. Together, we’ve been working on improving the student travel experience. You may have heard of Ryde, the carpooling marketplace that allows student drivers and riders to share a ride and make long-distance travel affordable and convenient. It’s really rewarding to put everything I’ve learned in college to create a business that helps students and to see people using our service at Cal Poly. If you haven’t yet, make sure to check us out at rydecarpool.com

What do you think engineering’s biggest impact on the world will be in the future? 

Considering the rapid pace of innovation these past few decades, I can’t even imagine how different life will look. Engineering has been improving the lives of so many people, taking us from being agricultural farmers into the industrialized society we are today. I think as more and more people are encouraged and empowered to become engineers, we’ll see an even greater diversity in ideas and technologies. One big change that I think will happen in our lifetime will be robotic automation, as tedious factory and minimum wage jobs are taken over by machines. We’ll have more time to do the things we love, but as a society we will have to adapt to a growing portion of the jobs around today vanishing as a result of this change. 

Share