Gang to Mustang Video

Jeffrey Aparicio doesn’t have to go far for a reminder of his dark past: All he has to do is look at some of the tattoos on his body.

“Every time I look at my gang tattoos, I just remember how I’ve come so far,” he said.

While Aparicio committed crimes ranging from armed robbery to residential burglary as a member of a Sacramento gang, he has since turned his life around. And today he gives back by inspiring others with his comeback story.

“I’m very thankful because people can learn from my experience, and I can learn from theirs,” said Aparicio, a 27-year-old aerospace engineering student.

In this video, Aparicio, who is featured in the next giving issue of Engineering Advantage magazine, shares his journey from gang to Mustang.

The Cal Poly College of Engineering understands there has been an enormous amount of turmoil and transition due to Coronavirus (COVID-19). As we continue offering support to our students, faculty, staff, alumni and friends, we also continue providing critical updates as well as college highlights. Ours is a college full of creative and bright engineers and staff. For more information on COVID-19 visit the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) website. For more information on how Cal Poly is responding to COVID-19, visit the Cal Poly Coronavirus website Coronavirus website.

Share

Coronavirus Update and Resources